Jump to content
Mark

CS:GO Alt Accounts

Recommended Posts

Read the entire post as we will not accept excuses if caught. Since CS:GO went free many players have created alt accounts. While creating an alt account may seem harmless. Some players create their accounts with the intent to cheat or break server rules. We can block non prime accounts from playing on our servers but I feel that would be unfair to those who are free players and have no intent on cheating or breaking rules. After speaking with other admins we have decided that the best first step would be to add a new server rule against alt accounts with the punishment being a Permanent Ban on all accounts if caught using an alt account. There is absolutely no reason I can think of as to why any member or player should be on an alt account on our servers. If you are on an alt account, you are likely either cheating or on it to break server rules and ruin the fun for everyone else. So to conclude our first step was to add the new rule and make the community aware of the rule change.

 

The next step to combat this issue is to develop a plugin that will detect alt accounts and notify our admins in-game as well as log it. Don't think just because no admin is on that you wont get caught because it will log all detection's and I will be checking. In the future the plugin will likely auto ban once I know it is working 99.9%. If you have used an alt account in the past obviously you will not be perma banned for using it in the past. However going forward if caught you will be banned. So I recommend that you do not ever connect again to any of our servers with your alt account. :)

 

The new rule added is #18 under General Rules(http://defyclan.com/hub/rules/csgo-rules/).


View full record

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got an old account i used to use but i got temporarily locked out so i made a new account which i have been using since. I lend my old account to friends who dont have cs, what happens if one of them use it on the servers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to switch accounts all the time just for the purpose of no one looking at my account, I alternate accounts a lot and I feel like you should be able to play on alts but make sure it will be a legit experience or maybe restrict it to veteran members and up or something like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hexaquan said:

I lend my old account to friends who dont have cs, what happens if one of them use it on the servers?

 

CS:GO is now free they don't need to use your old account. Regardless pick the account you would like to use going forward and stick with it. Only join the server with one account it is that simple.

 

12 hours ago, reDrocket said:

I'm guessing it's like SourceSleuth where it will cross-reference known IP addresses?

It might be, cant reveal the secret sauce.

 

2 hours ago, Ender said:

I used to switch accounts all the time just for the purpose of no one looking at my account, I alternate accounts a lot and I feel like you should be able to play on alts but make sure it will be a legit experience or maybe restrict it to veteran members and up or something like that

What is so special about your account or what don't you want people to see on your account? If you are worried about people looking at your profile then set it to private. Let me reiterate there is no valid reason as to why any member or player would need to play on an alt account on our servers. Allowing alt accounts will only lead to problems and we are not making any exceptions. I'm not going to name any names but in the past we had an admin of all people join on an alt account and break server rules. smh...

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm what if a member has a sibling? Will they both get banned automatically? 

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what if I had to make another account due to being locked out of the first account i had?
I had been locked out of my account and lost the password, and i made a new account with the similar name. will i be punished, even if i do not have the same account i made in the first place?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Seven said:

Umm what if a member has a sibling? Will they both get banned automatically? 

 

5 hours ago, IMTMATTEO said:

what if I had to make another account due to being locked out of the first account i had?
I had been locked out of my account and lost the password, and i made a new account with the similar name. will i be punished, even if i do not have the same account i made in the first place?

 

 

Ok, I don't want to mini-mod, but how about we don't play the "what if" game?

 

Also, you can easily recover a lost account from Steam Support if you truly are the owner.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, reDrocket said:

 

 

Ok, I don't want to mini-mod, but how about we don't play the "what if" game?

 

Also, you can easily recover a lost account from Steam Support if you truly are the owner.

The “what if game”? What the actual hell are you talking about? It’s called being safe, there’s nothing wrong with those posts at all! I don’t like being toxic, but you’re being a NsG | Krypitc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trace said:

The “what if game”? What the actual hell are you talking about? It’s called being safe, there’s nothing wrong with those posts at all! I don’t like being toxic, but you’re being a NsG | Krypitc!

 

Firstly, I don't understand that reference, therefore, it's rather useless and lacking taste.

 

 

 

Secondly, the plugin hasn't even be developed, let alone implemented. I think it's a little too soon to ask "what if" questions and go down that rabbit hole, and instead it's probably more a discussion on having alt accounts.

 

My guess is that it will use a mix of IP addresses and clientprefs to track accounts on the same machine, which is what SG used to track alts and pending slays. And even then, Mark said it won't auto-ban unless he's sure it's 99.99% accurate (and if we play the "what if I'm the .01%, I'm sure it can be appealed).

 

Personally, it probably won't ever auto ban because we never could get it to detect between alts and other people in the same household. And it would be made harder to implement a trust system like VACnet since the GDPR automatically makes all profiles private (unless we enforced a rule to make all profiles public), which you could easily do by checking paid games, timeplayed, friends, groups, etc etc versus a free account with none of those. That would make it easy to distinguish between alts and, say, siblings with different accounts.

 

(If I had it my way, I would make TTT unplayable without public profiles)

 

 

I have to agree with Mark though. SG had the issue with admins and regulars intentionally using alts to RDM/MFK with VPNs, which is why they switched to using clientprefs silently and snagged those guys. It also introduced the problem of admins using alts, witnessing rule breakers, and then switching accounts to punish said rule breaker. Not only is that not protocol, but why use an alt in the first place? If you want to be undercover, change your name.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, reDrocket said:

 

Firstly, I don't understand that reference, therefore, it's rather useless and lacking taste.

Oh no! You didn’t understand a joke! Because, you know, you’re the king of all the jokes on here, you can deem that joke completely “useless” and “tasteless”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 5:55 PM, Seven said:

Umm what if a member has a sibling? Will they both get banned automatically? 

Most likely not but their wont be auto bans implemented until I know the system is working properly. 

 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:18 PM, IMTMATTEO said:

what if I had to make another account due to being locked out of the first account i had?
I had been locked out of my account and lost the password, and i made a new account with the similar name. will i be punished, even if i do not have the same account i made in the first place?

If this happened in the past then it does not matter. However going forward if you get locked out again then you should contact steam support. Most people would not just create a new account and leave the old account locked as your gonna have to add all your friends back, if you had weapon skins you just lost all of them, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

highly doubt people wont use vpn to avoid this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if you just use the same name, on both accs, I play comp on my other acc, I dont want to go through the cancer of resigning in and out to join a community server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dad said:

What if you just use the same name, on both accs, I play comp on my other acc, I dont want to go through the cancer of resigning in and out to join a community server.

Could be wrong but im pretty sure it goes off of steam ID

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mark has it as a Zero tolerance policy At the moment folks, the what if questions kinda get old. Just don't use em pretty simple. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PepeHands said:

Could be wrong but im pretty sure it goes off of steam ID

 

It doesn’t go off steam ID. When Jordan was karma banned for 3 days - I tried to log on to play and it flagged me as an alt account and couldn’t play as well until his ban was over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PepeHands said:

Could be wrong but im pretty sure it goes off of steam ID

It goes off IP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dev said:

 

It doesn’t go off steam ID. When Jordan was karma banned for 3 days - I tried to log on to play and it flagged me as an alt account and couldn’t play as well until his ban was over.

Well he was saying if he could just change his name. But yeah IP would make more sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this website you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy