Nydekore

Thoughts on DNA Scanner

I've heard many complaints about the DNA scanner in game but I'm unsure of it is just from in-the-moment rage or if it's from logical reasoning. What are your thoughts on the scanner? Is it balanced? If not, why? Some specifics of what has been complained about is price, amount of uses, and just its very existence. I want to make the most balanced choice on how it should effect gameplay going forward.

Its already pretty balanced. People who complain are just people who got t and died from it. Why isn’t anyone complaining about the taser? It’s basically the same except it is available to everyone and the results are shown in chat. Ik that you must be next to the person to tase but the dna scanner is literally only for d. It’s not the dna scanner’s fault that the t’s waited so long to kill d.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Mega said:

People who complain are just people who got t and died from it.

I thought this might be the case at first too but I've seen detectives use it then complain, I've seen innos complain about detectives using it, it seems to be more than just immediate rage and looking into the item it seems to be a 50/50 split.

6 minutes ago, Nydekore said:

I thought this might be the case at first too but I've seen detectives use it then complain, I've seen innos complain about detectives using it, it seems to be more than just immediate rage and looking into the item it seems to be a 50/50 split.

There still is the fact that the dna scanner can scan a dead body killed by an already t. I've had this happen to me couple of times. It basically just took my credits. Sort of like gambling.

6 minutes ago, Mega said:

There still is the fact that the dna scanner can scan a dead body killed by an already t. I've had this happen to me couple of times. It basically just took my credits. Sort of like gambling

The chances of this happening with 3 attempts at it are quite low and the amount of uses it likely to remain the same no matter what so yeah it is a gamble but not a major one.

Posted (edited)

When people get traitor they either delay a heavy amount of time or they start killing instantly. Traitors have 4 and a half minutes to win the round, they could spend just 30 seconds hunting down detective or using Traitor Voice/Text to start a coordinated attack. People are too quick to kill, and once the detective becomes a final survivor, then it will seem like he is overpowered... which he isn’t. If we decide to lessen the DNA Scanner, then we should at least make the taser loaded off round start. It has been like that for a longggg time

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

make the taser loaded off round start

I'd think to make it lower delay but removal seems harsh.

It's just a moment of rage I assume, I don't think people really hate it

• Upvote 1

DNA scanner is balanced, the limited uses is enough of a handicap already. On the other hand I agree with Mike that the taser deserves a buff. The wait time is way too long and just makes rounds boring. The delay was added so that people wouldn't get tased immediately, but there's no reason for it to take 30+ seconds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Unforgetable said:

I think that its should have like a limited amount of uses

If uses were decreased, then detectives would likely scan bodies killed by the same person, and degrading a detective ability doesn't seem like a smart move. We want every item in the shops for each role to be used or thought of. The main thing people save up for is to buy traitor. If we increase the price, no one would buy it, if we decreased its uses, then no one would buy it. It is completely fine with where it is at.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If uses were decreased, then detectives would likely scan bodies killed by the same person, and degrading a detective ability doesn't seem like a smart move. We want every item in the shops for each role to be used or thought of. The main thing people save up for is to buy traitor. If we increase the price, no one would buy it, if we decreased its uses, then no one would buy it. It is completely fine with where it is at.

Well, it’s more unlikely that they find traitors already discovered at the beginning and this seems to be when it’s most regarded as a “cheap tactic”, would there be opposition to adding a delay to when it begins to work? This would likely be accompanied by a halving of the taser delay among other possible changes I have yet to look into.

If we decrease the DNA Scanner in any way, the only way I would agree with is to have a cool down between body identifications. My mind can’t be changed though, I feel like this is a silly topic

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

If we decrease the DNA Scanner in any way, the only way I would agree with is to have a cool down between body identifications. My mind can’t be changed though, I feel like this is a silly topic

I mena thats not a bad idea 

Cooldowns between bodies being id'd sounds like a good idea, though I would like to hear my opinions before making any final decisions.

The issue with this post is that, now, people are going to start buying detective DNA Scanners more frequently, and it'll make players want its removal.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The issue with this post is that, now, people are going to start buying detective DNA Scanners more frequently, and it'll make players want its removal.

Well, no matter the quantity of people using it it's still the same item and I'm trying my best to look at only logical input, which no matter how many people want it removed/changed, the amount of logic behind the decision will not change.

• Upvote 1

dna scanner is what makes a detective a Detective... What do detectives do? THEY INVESTIGATE besides the detective in ttt itself is a high priority target that should be taken out as soon as possible, In this certain situation keeping him alive just shows that he can buy a dna scanner and make t's very easy to spot out. It's fine the way it is.

that's just my two cents though

• Like 2

I think it's pretty balanced and should be kept in.  Without the DNA scanner, having a Detective would be useless as any innocent can just buy a taser.

Alright, the feedback is overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the scanner as is, I've taken note of this and it should remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1